The TSC Act of 2012 dictates that every trained teacher has to be registered by the Teachers Service Commission, before they can be given any duties in any kenyan system school.vThis apllies to both private and public schools in Kenya . It is an offence in the constitution to be assigned duties in schools without a TSC number.
To support this TSC act, the ministry of education directed that all county commissioners of education to ensure that only qualified teachers to are allowed in classrooms . A qualified teacher is the one who has been registered by Teacher Service Commission and has been awarded a certificate of registration
If you are a trained teacher from a qualified institution and you don’t have a TSC number, here are the steps you can follow to acquire one.
It is also important to note that TSC does not recognise any application made manually. That means everything is done entirely online.
TSC Teacher Education Minimum Requirements
For a certificate one needs to attain a C plain in KCSE , Diploma requires a minimum of C+ in KCSE and in a Degree one needs a minimum of C+ in KCSE.
Additionally to the requirements , teachers who are looking to teach secondary schools must attain at least C+ in the subjects they intend to teach . This ensures that you are concersant with the teaching subjects one wants to teach.
To begin the process , one needs to scan and upload the following original documents ;
- All academic certificates that one has from primary , secondary university or college.
- University or college transcripts . This are sourced from the university or college one learnes in.
- A passport size photograph.
- A banking slip or receipt of a non refundable registration fee (ksh 1055 and Ksh 2055 for duplicate certicate) to be deposited in the TSC Registration Accounts National Bank of Kenya . For direct banking , account number is 01001000905001 ,or for simple banking one can use Mpesa paybill business number 625625.
This payments are necessary since they are a must for registration.
After scanning and paying like outlined above , you can follow these steps below.
How One Registers and Applies For a TSC Certificate Online .
- Click on the website teachersonline.tsc.go.ke
- Fill in your National ID or passoort and surname and click on NEXT
- Enter the required details in the forms that load that is KRA pin , Email, phone number . Remember it is a must to have a KRA pin.
- Proceed to the last step .
It is an offence to provide false information to the TSC . The consitution states that any person convictes of the offence can be fined upto Ksh 100,000 or imprisonment for 12 months or both. This is in Section 44 of TSC Act No. 20 of 2012.
How To Check TSC Number Registration Status
After finishing this process , it will take less than a month or a month before a TSC number is given to you . To check if you have been assigned one click on teachersonline.tsc.go.ke and use your national ID number . The TSC will then send a hard copy of the TSC certificate to the postal address provided during the registration process. If after a month you have not received your certificate , you need to contact the commission to inquire on the issue.