Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) is a company licensed by central bank to gather upon request ,credit details of companies and individuals. They ensure all consumer credit details are accessible by the relevant credit facilities in the country.
If an indivudual’s CRB status us positive, it implies that he/she is making loan repayments promptly while if the status is negative , it means one is a loan defaulter. In a negative status , CRB will block one from accession loans from any licensed credit facility till his/her loan is settled.
There are three licensed CRB agents in kenya that is ; Trans Union ,Credit Info and Metropol .
How can one know if he or she is blacklisted in CRB record?
1. Trans Union
One can check CRB status in three ways through transunion that is TransUnion app, TransUnion website and use of SMS to 21272
a) TransUnion app
- Download the TransUnion Nipashe application on google playstore or App store.
- Open the application and register using your National ID number and other required personal information.
- Follow the steps offered on the application to access your CRB status.
b) TransUnion Website .
- On your smart phone use a browser to launch the TransUnion website.
- Register fully and access your CRB status
c) SMS services
- Send your full names as shown in your ID to 21272
- Provide your National ID number then,
- Choose the option credit status .
If your results come as negative then you are blacklisted white if it is positive then it means you are not blacklisted and you have been making loan repayments promptly.
CreditInfo relies entirely on information received through emails . This means yoy are required to fill information that is ;
An online Credit request form to recieve your CRB clearance certicate.
You can also fill a Credit Report Dispute form if you feel your CRB is wrong.
3. Using USSD code
This method is recommended since it’s simple , fast and reliable . It does not require internet connection like the others. The steps include ;
- Dial *433# on your phone. (A safaricom line is recommended for faster results)
- In the space for ID, fill your ID number .
- Use 222000 as the agent code.
- Confirmation all your details if they are correct .
Next , you proceed to M-PESA to make payments.
- Go to lipa na Mpesa the use the paybill 220388.
- Enter your ID number in the space for account number .
- Amount entered should be Ksh. 100
- Enter your mpesa pin.
If the transaction is successful, you will recieve an Mpesa confirmation message of your payment and CRB status within a period of 60seconds.
You can use either the Metropol application by downloading on App store or playstore or access it’s website through chrome browser.
Go to lipa na mpesa the use 220388 as the paybill number and use your ID number under the account number space . Enter amount of Ksh 50 that is a registration fee.
A message will be received which has a unique code, reference number and link.
On your phone , dial *433# then enter your pin . Your CRB status will be received through SMS .
These are the approved ways of checking your CRB stays online .