In Kenya NHIF is the leader of health insurance.Founded in 1966, The National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) was found as a state parastatal in Kenya. It’s main goal is long-term provision of affordable and accessible medical coverage.
Employees in the formal sector are mandated to have membership of the National Health Insurance Fund ,that is all civil servants. The unemployed, self employed and the non- civil servants can have membership by registering with NHIF and are supposed to pay 500 per month.
The requirements for online NHIF registration include;
1. A copy of you National Identification Card.
2. A copy of your legal partner’s National Identification Card.
3. Your legal marriage certificate.
4. Your children’s birth certificate who have attained six (6) months of age and above.
5. If employed ,one is required to provide his/her employer NHIF code .
6. Passport size photo of the applicant , the wife/husband and the dependents .
How To Apply Online
– [ ] Open a browser of your own choice (example , chrome) visit the NHIF portal using the link ;
– [ ] Fill in your identification card (ID)number or your passport number .
– [ ] Using the instructions provided , key in the form provided with the correct details.
– [ ] Upload a scanned copy of either your Identification Card (ID) or passport.
– [ ] Add your passport size photograph.
– [ ] If you have a spouse, upload your marriage certificate.
– [ ] Click on “confirm”
A fee of one thousand five hundred is paid which is non-refundable. The application is required to pick his/her membership card upon successful registration at the nearest Huduma centre.
– [ ] Using lipa na mpesa on your phone ,click on paybill.
– [ ] Use 200222 as the business number .
– [ ] On account number , write your ID card number .
– [ ] On amount enter your amount . Minimum amount entered should be 500 Ksh .
– [ ] Complete with your M-PESA pin .
How To Add NHIF Dependents
To adds NHIF dependents under one’s membership , one requires some documents which include;
1. The dependents birth certificate. If the child has not attained 6months , then avail a birth notification.
2. A copy of your National Identification Card is also needed.
The process of adding dependents .
– [ ] In the previously created NHIF account log into it,
– [ ] Choose “dependent’s registration “ on the menu bar .
– [ ] Fill in the relevant information of the dependent on the required fields.
– [ ] Then add a copy of the dependents colored passport size photograph.
– [ ] Lastly, add the dependent’s birth certificate.
– [ ] Click on submit.
– [ ] Enquiring email ; [email protected]
– [ ] Fraud email; [email protected]
– [ ] Contacts : 0800820601
(020)2723255 or 02027232566
– [ ] Instagram/Twitter/Facebook ; @NHIFkenya
– [ ] NHIF Website ; http://nhif.or.ke
– [ ] The main office is in Nairobi , Haile sellasie and Ragati road . Opposite Kenya National Library